Sex Science Skeptic Forum Index Sex Science Skeptic
Discussing Sexual Pseudoscience

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studies on Cohabitation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sex Science Skeptic Forum Index -> Questionable Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffBooth
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Studies on Cohabitation Reply with quote

I've read a lot of studies on cohabitation, almost all of them present conclusions that it is a bad idea. This seems strange to me, as almost everyone I know lived together before marriage. Much of it seems biased towards presenting an either/or dichotomy- cohabitation or marriage, but with so many people cohabiting before getting marriage and with a declining divorce rate, the almost exclusively negative conclusions makes little sense to me. There is, of course, a huge bias amongst many to promote the idea of not having sex before marriage, and those folks clearly want proof that cohabitation is bad. Still, the studies I have read seem so uniformly negative with none of the potential positives highlighted- positives that have been a part of my own life and the lives of others I have known.

Does anyone have any enlightening information on the validity, funding, or other background that might explain the following studies:

The risk of divorce after living together is 50 to 100 percent higher than for couples who have not lived together. (Axxinn & Thornton, 1992)

Those who have premarital sex are more likely to have extramarital affairs. (Ciavola, 1997; Forste & Tanfer 1996)

Cohabiting couples argue, shout and hit each other more than married couples. (Penn State University, Brown & Booth, 1997)

Women are 62 times more likely to be assaulted by a live-in boyfriend than by a husband. (U.S. Justice Department, Colson, 1995)

Cohabiting women have rates of depression three times higher than married women.

Those who live together are at a higher risk for contracting sexually transmitted diseases, which have tripled in the past six years. (Ciavola, 1997)

Premarital sex creates emotional baggage that lays the groundwork for comparisons, suspicions and mistrust. (Laumann, et.al, 1994)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sex Science Skeptic Forum Index -> Questionable Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: